Hi, I was aforementioned Iulian. Most Urizeni briars have gone a bit mad-scientist, and I did a bit of that.
Also… Urizen is intellectual, and the influence of the blood is anti-intellectual. Iulian came to lineage late (thirties), so I played this as ‘used to have an eidetic memory, suddenly does not’ and just kept forgetting things. I’m slightly scatterbrained, loud and overeducated OC, so I just leaned on those traits. Iulian talked quickly, escalatingly loudly and impenetrably, and had no patience with people who didn’t understand him. Except for briars, with whom he connected quickly and communicated well.
Physically, I played that the character was trying to use the tradition of Poise to keep himself under control, bottling up the urges he felt to Just Do Something and twitching and flinching and playing up my natural stutter as a result. Then (because Poise also means doing things good and hard when you do them) I leaned into the releases of power, using my size and physicality to make him somewhere between charismatic and intimidating when he did act.
Iulian’s loss of control didn’t look like twitching, stuttering, nervousness. It looked like a confident voice, a long stride and Getting Shit Done With ESCALATING VOLUME AND SPEED. And putting that back in its box looked like someone grasping for the last vestiges of his self-control.
Other traits I used:
- Easily led - weird in a leader, but other people could put ideas in his head easily
- Sometimes didn’t ‘get’ subtlety, becoming frustrated when he realised he hadn’t got it
- Prone to sitting unceremoniously in the grass to talk to people
- Believed he was surROUNDed by IDiots
- The type to go ‘foools fooooools I shall show them alllll’, but only once the ritual was well underway.