Weapon crafting advice needed

Greetings forum dwellers,
I am attempting to craft some LARP safe weapons. To practice I have made a small sword for my son to play with at home.
Unfortunately while the safty and sturdiness of the build seems good, I am having trouble getting a smooth finish on the LARP safe foam I have bought for the blade (bought from a German LARP Shop, LD45 I think). The pommel is made out of EVA foam. The tip has been protected with foam wrapped in a tear resistant fabric also purchased at the same LARP shop. I have primed it with 3 layers of plastidip. And the paint will be protected with 2 more layers of transparent plastidip.
As a beginner I am looking for all the advice/feedback I can get. Also warning if I am doing something wrong.
Cheers in advance,
Joe

2 Likes

Hi Joe ,
Most weapons in UK larp use latex and isoflex as a covering . Latex can be sprayed with a LPHV spray gun and can give a very smooth finish after several coats. Plastidip can make the weapon a little hard if you use enough layers to get a smooth finish and is also quite expensive compared to latex. As part of the weapon check team we will always take every weapon on a case by cace basis regarding safety so definitely bring it along so we can have a look.
I do love the paint job by the way! Hope this was helpful.

2 Likes

Yes, very useful. I will research LPHV sprays. And thanks for the paint job compliment, it’s probably the only skill I bring to that new crafting endeavour.

Latex can also be brushed on, which I think can be made to give smooth results. or you can dip a weapon into it. (I seem to remember reading about dipping sword-blades into latex in a piece of waste-pipe plumbing.)

The grip of any weapon gets a lot of wear, so often the grip is not covered in latex, but instead it is covered in leather, or made of real wood, for example. If the grip is too soft, the weapon is harder to control well and doesn’t feel so good in the hand. The rules say “There must be sufficient padding on the tip, guard, pommel and haft” so the grip is the only part that does not need padding: https://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Weapon_checking#All_weapons

2 Likes