Help me make a Dawnish character!

Thanks for your help everyone! I’ll be at E3 as of this evening! I’d love to thank you all in person :slight_smile:

And now E3 is over.

Tristram and Una made their field debut, and I think I saw you on the battlefield as well.

The costumes were great, very much on point, looking suitably Dawnish.

How did it all go? Do you feel all this prep was worth it? What have your learnt? Do you think you’ll be sticking with these characters?

And where will you go from here…? :slight_smile:

Considering all the Drama they caused in de Carsenere at the start of the event, and how keen he sounded on the car ride back (Turns out he is based in Coventry atm so I gave him a lift.)

I think they might have had an okay event.

Yes, I want to hear what happened!

I loved it; it was one of the best weekends of my life. I consider you all on this forum friends so I’ll put in more biographical detail here than elsewhere (also my profile has neither my name nor my face).

I was raised one of Jehovahs Witnesses- this meant that aside from not having birthdays or Christmases I also wasn’t allowed toy swords or guns- and was expected to live perfectly by the morals of turning the other cheek from the year dot (a positive aside is that my lego knights were allowed to have lego swords, my best friends lego knights were initially not – but then his mum relaxed in part because of my mums influence).

Knightly fiction, was the most tremendous release form that. CS Lewis explains this well as a knight being the strange union of two conflicting modes of being- the violent warrior, and the polite and kind courtier. More than that I loved Mallory, and the pearl poet (and before I read them, the children s versions of their works I found in the school library) because they showed these characters with unachievable ideals, muddling through the complexity of life.

Mallory in Le Morte d’Arthur sets up various parallels between Arthur and Herod; Mordred and Jesus; and although Merlin has been baptized – it is still unclear whether his powers come from God, the devil or the combination of the two. In a sense what Mallory is doing is like the builders of a cathedral – he digs deep down into the mud and grime of existence to build something beautiful but finite; each character becomes like a gothic arch – a broken curve that points upwards to the majesty of the heavens.

As a result as a child what I wanted to be most when I grew up was a knight. To ride through the countryside doing good, and finally to die tragically, for a noble but lost cause.

Once I had got over the awkwardness of pretending to be a character I had only thought through 20%, I loved it – because the game fulfilled that childhood dream.

I now realize I have spent all the time I meant to spend writing about E3 discussing my childhood, and half millennia old books- but in my next post I’ll, stay on point more.

We’re happy to hear it, don’t worry - congrats on what sounds like a great event! Fantastic that you got to fulfil such a long-time dream :slight_smile:

@mcgonigle helped me connect the story to various houses in play and then made me a letter, from Aramis de Videre, the knight who went on to found his house, Carsenere, to Tristrams aunt alluding to the events that lead to him rescuing Tristrams mother and aunt; without really explaining them.
When I arrived on the field, I took this to the Videre earl, who was suitably annoyed by it. Chaos and and a sequence of duels ensued, until T was bleeding out on the glory square. At this point U saved him.

^@mcgonigle pointed out that with the chance of a Sunday battle, it might be better to have them reunited earlier.

However U was annoyed- so sent T on a quest to obtain her forgiveness – to kill 10 orcs in her name.

Saturday was less eventful, I enjoyed monstering (I got a magic sword as an orc), and I made lots of friends.

The week before I had sprained my right wrist. So in battle, I lost control of my sword in various ways- sometimes being to week to parry, at other times being overcome by this momentum and failing at pulling blows – I feel bad for anyone I hurt, and I’ll happily buy apology beer for anyone who I bashed.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed orcing. I killed a few players- and was disappointed when they were abandoned by their countrymen- next time I might focus more on scaring them than killing them.
I think that afternoon I fought in the bridge battle with the marchers. It was good fun – but I struggled to parry halberd/spear blows so was bested fairly soon.

I tried to get on skirmishes, but didn’t quite meet the right people at the right time- in future I’d love to hire myself out to the league, who I hear are short on bodies so I can afford magic armour.
My main goal of the day was to buy skops mead so I’d have lots of hero points to use to overcome the curse in spiral. I achieved it in the evening- just as it started raining.

I spent the early evening with U on one of the outer benches of the Orzel tent. When fear of spiral and rumors of a massacre in the Navar encampment- and their nation pulling out of Sundays battle, U and I – as well as one of them went over, only to find that they were roughly fine and that they had heard similar rumours about us.

I slept badly that night- the zip on my sleeping bag had broken the night before, but it only became a problem when the temperature dropped (thankfully as someone acquainted with English weather I had thermals and an anorak- so I didn’t freeze).

With the looming possibility of death in Spiral the next morning. I worked hard on trying to find a way of completing as much of Tristrams character arc as soon as possible.

I decided to go to the Earl of the house of Fools to bear Trsitrams soul to, before the battle- specifically that the death of his mother scared him, and that it was fear rather than bravery that lead him to join the army; the fear of repeating the same loss with Una; and finally that as he doesn’t consider himself to have any virtue- he doesn’t believe that he would ever return from the labyrinth.

To this the Earl of Fools asked him to return to her with the knowledge of what it means to stand his ground.

And when the empress turned out to be so close, T knelt, and she gave him her blessing.

So he set off to Spiral- fighting alongside a group of knights from du Soleil. He was barely affected by the curse – because although I had decided to be relatively conservative in how I fought the orcs died quickly – and before long I had killed the ten required for Unas forgiveness (included in this number were a few who I simply executed after someone else did the hard work). I thought that generally avoiding leading charges, would count as standing ones ground.

(Also I borrowed a sheild before the battle- so i could use it on my sprained hand, which made parying, at least, a lot easier)

I particularly enjoyed the fighting in and around the fort. It was lovely to be involved in counter charges, rescuing others and being rescued when my legs were cleaved, and the couple of times I ran out of hit points and hero points. In all I killed 17 (including executions)- which I was happy with- and was more than enough to gain Us forgiveness- and be admitted into a group of knights errant who wanted to achieve glory together.

All in all the weekend was brilliant. Just by walking past people over and over, I had made a variety of friends from various nations. It was lovely to see them on the battlefield, in the hospital later. Special thanks goes to the Wintermark priest, who eventually dedicated Tristram to the virtue of Loyalty – the virtue he is determined to seek.

So after all that prep…

…you set off running and accelerated :slight_smile:

I hadn’t realised that Navarr had had rumours about Dawn! You got the Empress’ blessing?!

Yeah that swirling battle around the pallisade was awesome wasn’t it!

And so Tristram moves to ephisode 2 or his arc with Una’s forgiveness, some battle scars, and many friends!

And you are now an experienced LARPer! Look after that wrist…

Will you be at E4?

It was good fun, something that really hit me was how much of an advantage I had because i had made some friends before I arrived.

:slight_smile:

I have a PhD to hand in so the odds are that I will miss E4, but return for E1 once the dust has settled - and i have a real job.

How to introduce freinds to empire