Potion bottle phys-reps

I have an idea for a potion/potion bottle phys-rep that I’d like to run past people

A standard potion lammie (both the standard cards and the rip-on-use lammies) is 2.5 by 3.5 inches - call it 60x90 mm, rounding up

You can get 250mm PET bottles with a width of just over 60mm (e.g. http://www.spectra-packaging.co.uk/product/?refno=1089&bottleid=275)

Fill bottle with resin, adding pigments or accessories depending of the potion you’re “targeting” (so for the Sovereign Specific, it would be clear resin with a bit of glitter)

Dip lid in molten wax to look like a seal

Put an IC label on the front - get creative with design and wording

On the back, stick a paper “envelope” you can slip the lammie in, with just the tip peaking out

Result - a reusable, safe (if a bit heavy) phys-rep that looks like the potion in question and keeps the potion and lammie in the same place

So here’s my issue:

Epoxy resin would be prohibitively expensive - 250mm is a lot of epoxy
Polyester resin is a possibility, but I’m concerned that it might react badly with the PET - is there a materials scientist in the house?
Candle wax is an alternative, but I was really looking for something more translucent. On the other hand gel wax is looks like Sovereign Specific… and it can be tinted

Have I just solved my own problem?

Of course, I could side-step all of this by using PET bottles with the brown smoked-glass effect finish (like old medicine bottles) - perhaps filling them with water (for the weight) before corking and dipping the top in wax. But that just seems a bit easy. And it seems surprisingly difficult to get rectangular brown PET bottles. Unless I’m using the wrong terms when googling

2 Likes

Nowt wrong with easy if it is effective!

My solution was/is a cloth pouch with small bottles inside in different colours, and hidden in a pocket were the cards.

i think the poluyester will get too hot in a PET bottle and distort it, you could probably do a few passes to make a thin shell, and that would hols the shell and work on

That… is a really nice idea.
You could maybe look at UV resin. Mix it in with your required colour, pour it in. Hit it with a UV light and… done!
(Also if you colour it, the yellowing won’t show as clear resin is want to do over time)